Today we woke up to rain – a full stop if you want to hike down the steep north side of Mt. Moosilauke. We sat at the hiker hostel this morning talking with Swagger and Trail Wreck about a north to south slack pack (light packs). Our host strongly recommended waiting for the rain to stop as rainy conditions in either direction were hazardous. At 10 o’clock the weather broke and the four of us loaded in the car with two other hikers, Smiles and Smirk, to head for the north side of the mountain.
The hike up included rebar and wood steps bolted into places in the rocks. It was a bit like climbing a sky scraper but colder – much colder!
As we neared the summit visibility decreased.
And other hikers alerted us to the 50 mile an hour gusts of wind on the summit. Temperature:30 something. Our fingers were clumsy but we were dressed for the weather.
The summit was exhilarating! I yelled to Prairie Dog over the sound of the wind, “I’m on the path; I’m off the path!” as the wind blew us around. I laughed out loud. When we got to the summit, I staggered to the sign and Prairie Dog took this picture:
We then stumbled on until we had some shelter in the trees:
but it was several miles down before we started to thaw. Returning to the hostel it was hard to believe that the sun was shining and that I was in shirt sleeves. Prairie Dog was less confident of the change in weather:
So far the White Mountains have exceeded our expectations! Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.
Blessings on the journey, Dragonfly