Finishing the Fjallraven Classic Aug. 14, 2014

Three years ago, we finished the Fjallraven Classic–in the rain!

We woke to a cloudy morning, ate our breakfast in the tent and dressed in rain gear.  Before leaving we talked with our neighbors about their tent,  turns out it was a Fjallraven Keb Endurance 2.  It has a huge vestibule, which I think would be great, especially in very rainy weather.

Once we got started, we headed down the rocky and muddy mountain.  At one point it was very warm and we took our raingear off.  Then it got cold again and rainy while we were eating lunch.

5 Kilometers from the end, there was an surprise!!!  The Fjallraven company had a tent set up where they were giving away the Flapjack Bar.  We both got one and saved it for later.

Finally we walked through the archway to the Kungsladen Trail, the finish line was up ahead.  It was still raining steadily as we crossed the finish line to clapping and cheers.  Volunteers quickly wisked us off to the final checkpoint where are passports were stamped and we were all given a sweet beverage.  Was it alcohol or something else?  I never found out.

Standing in the rain we talked with our Fjallraven ambassador Alex on what to do next. Did we have a room at the Inn (Abisko Mountain Station)?  We stood in line to see.  No room at the Inn!  We could stay for free in a Fjallraven model tent.  Dragonfly wanted to do that.  I wanted to get out of the rain.  If we had to do it over—we would stay in the tent.

Andreas found a room for us at the Abisko Mountain Lodge  —3 km away.  He drove us there and paid for the room and dinner, then left to go back to the Abisko Mountain Station.

We cleaned up, ate dinner (see photos), then got a ride back to the Mountain Station.  At the Trekker’s Bar, we stayed for the raffle (didn’t win anything, but our new friend Anton did), then went into the Inn and talked with our new friends until 11.  When we were ready to return to the Lodge, Andreas wouldn’t drive us back, but found someone else who would.  When we got there all the doors were locked!!!!  We started to walk around the building and tried every door until one opened.  We made it!!

Went to sleep after midnight.

We finished the Fjallraven Classic.  When can we do it again?


About prairiedog2013

Grew up in the Black Hills of South Dakota, but currently lives on Long Island, New York. Was a day-hiker years ago, but is now a thru-hiker. Loves living the thru-hikers life. She has hiked nearly 3,000 miles. Her hikes include the Northville Placid Trail (2011, 2012), the Centennial Trail in South Dakota (2012), the Appalachian Trail (2013), the Fjallraven Classic (2014) and many other trails.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s